We have the know-how that you need
How to deal with late or overdue tax returns
Do I need to lodge a tax return if I didn’t earn much income?
How much are the penalties or fines for late tax returns?
- You have more than one tax return outstanding
- You have a poor lodgement history, or
- You have not complied with a request to lodge your tax return
Can the penalties be reduced?
Yes. In special circumstances, the ATO may reconsider reducing or remitting the penalties and interest charges after you have lodged all outstanding returns and statements. These circumstances include, but are not limited to:
- You have a refund available from the tax return instead of owing tax
- You have significant personal or domestic difficulties beyond your control
- You have a severe illness, or you were caring for another person who was sick with a severe illness
- You were involved with a natural disaster
- Other appropriate circumstances considered fair and reasonable
Some of the factors you need to consider prior to applying the FTL penalty are:
- The compliance history of the entity.
- The effort it took to obtain lodgement.
- The value of the information to be disclosed in the taxation document.
- Whether the entity is aware of their lodgement obligations and the consequences involved in not meeting their obligations.
- Whether the entity had an opportunity to comply.
- The length of time the taxation document is overdue.
- Any contact the entity or their representative may have had with the ATO prior to the due date for lodgement.
This list is not exhaustive.
At Tax7 Accounting, we specialise in late lodgements. We will assist you not only in lodging your outstanding tax returns, but also in minimising your FTL and GIC charges. We have a proven track record of highly successful FTL and GIC compliance rates. Book an appointment online and speak to one of our friendly, highly experienced and qualified accountants to help you get your taxes up to date.
What if I don’t have all my group certificates / PAYG Summaries?
Tax7 Accountants can help you. With your authorisation, we can check your lodgement status with the ATO, ascertaining which years are outstanding and accessing details which have been reported to the ATO. Usually the ATO holds your salary, interest, dividend and other income details for the past 10 years.